Hedge fund returns were up for the second consecutive month in October amid trend reversals in the underlying markets. The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index was up 1.41%1 during the month, bringing its year-to-date return to 5.84%. The MSCI World Index gained 3.75%2 during the month.
Total assets under management (AUM) increased by US$19.7 billion during the month, bringing the size of the industry to US$1.97 trillion. Most of the positive impact on total assets in October came from performance as managers gained US$18.6 billion over the course of the month. The industry also witnessed net positive asset flows of US$1.2 billion.
Figure 1: Summary monthly asset flow data since January 2011
Key highlights for October 2013:
- Hedge funds raised US$100 billion through asset flows in 2013 as at October year-to-date
- Total assets in the hedge fund industry reached new record high of US$1.97 trillion
- Assets in Greater China focused funds reached US$12.9 billion, the highest level on record
- Asia ex-Japan hedge funds have outperformed the underlying markets by more than 5% October year-to-date
- Japanese hedge funds remained ahead of other regions, up 22.98% as at end-October 2013
- Greater China focused hedge funds up 13.77% October year-to-date
- Distressed debt hedge funds up 13.02% October year-to-date
The full article is available in The Eurekahedge Report accessible to paying subscribers only.
Subscribers may continue to login as usual to download the full report and non-subscribers may email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire on how to obtain the full research report.
1Based on 44.58% of funds which have reported October 2013 returns as at 13 November 2013
2 The MSCI AC World Index All Core (Local)