Hedge fund assets under management grew by US$34.1 billion through December as managers ended 2010 on a high note. The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index posted a strong return of 3.01%1 in the month, bringing the yearly return to 10.93%. This marks an outperformance to underlying markets in the yearly return measure as the MSCI World Index2 delivered a 7.83% return for the year.
The total assets in the hedge fund industry reached US$1.67 trillion as the funds posted significant profits and attracted significant capital in December. Performance-based gains accounted for US$26 billion as managers delivered substantial gains on the back of resurgent markets. The sector witnessed net positive asset flows to the tune of US$8.11 billion. Although December is usually a relatively slow month for inflows, the heightened market sentiment led to greater than normal inflows last month.
Figure 1 shows the monthly asset flows across the hedge fund industry since December 2008.
Highlights for the month of December:
- Hedge funds posted double-digit growth in 2010, up 10.93%, and outperformed underlying markets by 3.10%.
- The global hedge fund industry grew by US$34.1 billion – total asset growth for the year stood at US$186.6 billion.
- Total assets in the industry reach US$1.67 trillion – on track to cross the historical high of US$1.95 trillion by end of 2011.
- North America was the best performing hedge fund region in 2010, up 13.33% for the year and assets in North American hedge funds crossed US$1.1 trillion (67% of the total industry) for the first time since September 2008.
- Japanese hedge funds posted their best annual returns in 5 years, up 8.43% in 2010, and crossed US$15 billion for the first time since...
The full article is available in The Eurekahedge Report accessible to paying subscribers only.
Subscribers may continue to login as usual to download the full report and non-subscribers may email email@example.com to enquire on how to obtain the full research report.
1 Based on 58.32% of the funds reporting their NAV for December 2010 as of 14 January 2011.
2 MSCI The World Index Free – Local Currency